Living for Happiness

Living for Happiness
Live a life that will make you feel great!

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Mexican Pizza

Today it is quite cold where I live so I decided a pizza would be nice. I was doing some research about healthy pizzas and I found a recipe that sounded good. Here is what I made and the changes I made. :)

Yields: 5 servings
Ingredients:
1/4 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
8 oz can refried beans (used vegetarian organic refried beans)
7 oz jar taco sauce
8 oz can tomato sauce (used no salt added tomato sauce)
1/2 tbs chili powder (used 1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp cumin
2 oz. can green chilies, drained (optional, I didn't use)
1 large Boboli Pizza Crust (used wheat version)
1 can sliced black olives
1/2 tomato, diced
2 cups 2% shredded mexican cheese mix

Preparation:
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add beans, taco sauce, tomato sauce, chili powder, and cumin. Stir well, and heat through.

Spread sauce evenly over pizza crust. Top with sliced olives, diced tomato, and shredded cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted, bubbly, and begins to brown.

I will start this paragraph off by telling you that I am a bit of a light weight when it comes to hot/spicy food. This is very close to being too spicy for me and I used a mild taco sauce. I suggest you mix it up a bit depending on what your tolerance is. The original recipe that I created this from asked for 9 oz jar of taco sauce and 4 oz of tomato sauce, so if you do like really spicy food you could change it back to that and add jalapenos instead of chillies, and up the chilli powder back to half a tablespoon. The ingredients that make this good for the heart are: beans, onion, olive oil, olives, garlic, tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment