Living for Happiness

Living for Happiness
Live a life that will make you feel great!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tuna Salad

This weekend with temperature over 90 I decided to make something that didn't need to be cooked and would be refreshing in this hot weather. I found this recipe for a tuna salad sandwich from tasteofhome.com. I have included changes and notes which are green.

Simon's Famous Tuna Salad
Yields 5 servings
3 cans (6 oz each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked (3 cans (5 oz each) water-packed low sodium tuna, drained and flaked)
3/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise (3/4 cup light mayonnaise)
1/4 cup chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
1/4 cup chopped carrot (about 1 medium carrot)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dill weed (I used fresh)
10 slices whole wheat bread, toasted (I used quinoa bread, not toasted)
5 lettuce leaves

In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. For each sandwich, layer a slice of toast with a lettuce leaf and 1/2 cup tuna salad. Top with a second slice of toast.

This is quite tasty and it is quite tasty. The only fat-free mayo that I have been able to find is Miracle Whip which personally I think tastes way to sweet which is why I used light mayo. For those who don't like whole wheat bread the quinoa might be a good option. It is a bit unique in flavour, but I think it doesn't have as much flavour as the whole wheat. The ingredients that makes this good for the heart are: tuna, onion, garlic, whole wheat or quinoa bread, and carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment